“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark“Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts… perhaps the fear of a loss of power.”
― John Steinbeck“Whereas it appeareth that however certain forms of government are better calculated than others to protect individuals in the free exercise of their natural rights, and are at the same time themselves better guarded against degeneracy, yet experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny; and it is believed that the most effectual means of preventing this would be, to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, ….whence it becomes expedient for promoting the publick happiness that those persons, whom nature hath endowed with genius and virtue, should be rendered by liberal education worthy to receive, and able to guard the sacred deposit of the rights and liberties of their fellow citizens, and that they should be called to that charge without regard to wealth, birth or accidental condition of circumstance.”
― Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson: Writings“To oppose corruption in government is the highest obligation of patriotism.”
― G. Edward Griffin
- Lack of Enforcement of the Zoning Codes
- Selective enforcement of all other ordinances
- Making ordinances that affect only one person
- Having a Mayor that cannot follow simple directions in establishing a charter school
- Having a sewer rate 250% higher than neighboring towns
- Using the sewer increase as collateral for a $3,000,000 loan
- Seeking a grant of $250,000 to get the $3,000,000 loan …meaning no skin in the game WHEN THEY TOLD THE PUBLIC THEY ALREADY HAD THE MONEY FROM THE SEWER RATE INCREASE.
- Purposely LYING on public documents by the police department and the council
- Having a Police of Chief that has a DUI and an assault conviction
- Having the Chief of Police take a police department car putting at least 160 miles total daily.
- Special Strokes for Special folks by the Police Department
- Special Strokes for Special folks by the Council
- Special Strokes for Special folks by the Management
- Not following Florida Statutes 119, 286.011, and 112.313
- Spending a hundred thousand dollars on defense of legal actions that sought remedy of the violations above
- The missing grant money which had to be found but no one knew where it was
- The lack of volunteers for the fire department when compared to other cities our size
- The lack of the council to do anything about the fire department before the ISO recommendations and mandates.
- Arguing over $80 for Andrew when he has handled the fire department solely when Chief Stith has not been available
- Knowing SHE required repairs but the council doing nothing about it until we were told the school will close.
- Having 20 applicants for Town Manager say “No”.
- Having the Town administrative Staff do background checks
- The Mayor and Vice Mayor wanting a defrocked attorney be manager
- Not filling the Town Manager position on a timely basis
- Allowing the Mayor to spend money outside of council approval when the Charter does not allow it
- Allowing the Mayor to spend checks for purposes not intended (i.e. PCS Check for the Hope Program)
- Failure to follow contracts (i.e. collection services)
- Lack of Water Tower painting when it is under contract and required
- Having ill equipped ill trained and moral degenerates as town managers previously
- Not retaining a sinking fund for the Sewer pipes which are required
- NOT FOLLOWING THE TOWN CHARTER
- The Mayor not following the “Weak Form of Mayor” mandated by the charter
- Knowing and allowing former Manager to violate prisoners.
- Knowing and allowing Mr. Lofton to abuse children in the H.O.P.E. program and taking their food
- Non-preplanning for the Carver School Asbestos abatement and demolition yet spending over $19,000 on a model and preliminary plans.
- Spending $2,500,000 (sewer on 25A, amphitheater, concrete park and sidewalk to nowhere without creating the first local job or business.
- Buying a $10,000 lawnmower we did not need
- Saving $40,000 by having two full-time deputies of the Sheriff’s department in lieu of our police department
- Using Tom Moore to violate the sunshine law by polling councilmembers prior to a public vote
- Not providing adequate if any recreational opportunities (outdoor swimming pool, lighted basketball court, etc.) for our young people.
Are you not INTERESTED IN THIS TOWN or are you MORE INTERESTED IN JOE AND MY ALLEGED SHORTCOMINGS?
PICK ANY ONE ISSUE AND WE WILL BE HAPPY TO DEBATE IT WITH YOU.
You are right; I lied on it all. Karin and I have never worked a day in our lives. We’ve been on Welfare since the day we were born. Now can we debate a single issue? Joe E. Griffin June 23, 2014
From a loyal reader…
The Question that begs an answer, “Is the Town of White Springs in Violation Of United Nations Rights Treaties”, when it shuts off water service to late payers and then adds a fee for re-supply?
The Question rises above Local, County, State, and Federal Level to that of International.
It appears that Third World Nations, are treated better than White Springs Residents.
How did our “Mayor”- who alludes to International Experience miss this one ???
Based on passed behavior, one might speculate- with reasonable suspicion, that the “Mayor” was fully aware of the UN/Water Rights issue, but figured the Town Populace of Simpletons’ , are so unaware, that They would never pick up or comprehend the Right’s Violation.
Nobody is as insecure, bitter and small as you two are. The people you constantly attack are your victims. YOU ARE THE THEM in your poster.
If we were insecure about our convictions, I doubt if we would post what we do. You call the people in politics we call out, victims, but really what have they done for the town, other than again starting the H.O.P.E. program to assist families in Town is nothing. The Mayor and Council people have opportunity to change things by hiring the right Town Manager and from what we have heard, no one has been hired. These Victims as you call them have hurt the Citizens of White Springs by retaining a high water and sewer rate and charging exorbitant late charges in comparison to other areas.
Like the Chicken Crossing the Road, you should ask yourself, who started these attacks. Joe was attacked even while fighting for his life while in the hospital for eleven months after his accident. Those attacks continued when he returned, even having his property taken away. This town has taken a lot from the Citizens but there has not been a lot of return.
Some of you said that we wished to be in the inner circle and we were angry because we are not. If that is the inner circle without vision and forethought of how to help others than themselves, I wouldn’t want to be them. Frankly I could not stand a night out with McKenzie bragging about himself or the Mayor. I do however, enjoy people with a sense of humor who can enjoy life and the town is not the only discussion. That is why we have the friends we have and even when Marshall was a close friend we had great laughs and fun.
Obviously you do not understand that it is the politics of this town that is ruining us (meaning all of the citizens). And most citizens are afraid of the repercussions of the town. Look what they have done to Joe for years and now to me. At least we own up to what we say and do. We do not hide behind a computer under some anonymous name. And we believe in the rights of the Citizens of White Springs….those citizens who are fearful of speaking out also, because that would mean our police department or someone else would go after them.
One person when they received their first high water rate came over to our house and said they were afraid of talking to us because they had sat by us at a council meeting and they had received some nasty letter as a result. Really? Now that is insecurity by fear. Not wishing to speak up for themselves but blaming their association with another for the problem. Yes this town places the fear in everyone and people who go beyond in thought process, recognize what they have done to Joe in the past and all he has been doing is trying to make certain that everyone follows the law and that there are no longer special strokes for special folks. No I do not wish to be them. We have been the victims continually whether by sly strategies of the Mayor and Council People or all of you anonymous people not wishing to understand what the real issues are.
William Lawrence, candidate for Town Manager of White Springs, appears to be a hands-on individual with a wealth of experience in being a Town Manager for Lincoln Maine. He is the only candidate out of the three being interviewed Friday who is or has had Town Manager experience. When mentioning some of the difficulties, his answer was “Well it’s time to go to work”. Yes, the Mayor pre-warned all the candidates of Joe Griffin being a trouble maker. Trouble Maker he may be considered if he finds that it is a problem for the Town officials to follow the laws of FL and the Town Charter.
As a Town Manager of Lincoln ME, there were twelve (12) on the budget committee for the 2015 budget. In looking at the 2015 budget, for the Fire & EMA Department the total is $333,072 with $365,434 as 2014’s figures. The Police Department’s expenditures for 2014 were $412,711 with the 2015 Budget being reduced to $332,631. This is for a population of 2,884 residents. Our budget is approximately $127,000 less for around 750 residents.
The total Municipal Operating Budget for 2014 was $4,267, 265. For 2015 William Lawrence, the Town manager, requested the budget be lowered to $3,871,741. That is a savings of $395,524 in Municipal Operating Expenses. If you would like to see Lincoln’s operating budget it is under: http://www.lincolnmaine.org/upload/FY2015%20Draft%20budget%20-%20Budget%20Committee.PDF
Of course Joe’s main question seemed personal “What do you pay for Water and Sewer?” Lawrence’s answer was around $40.00 a month. This was after we converted ME’s rates based upon cubic feet into 4,000 gallons of water. From the tables, which were quarterly we came up with a figure of $20.48 for water and $27.73 for Sewer for a total $48.21 per month based upon 4,000 gallons of water. The amount our residents pay for sewer and water is $78.65 a month or $30.44 more a month since the minimum is based upon 4000 gallons. Otherwise it would be $38.65 more based upon what Mr. Lawrence pays a month.
Lincoln Main received $2.65 million in allocations of federal stimulus funds which defrayed the cost to the town’s 1,200 sanitary district customers of a third and final upgrade to the town’s wastewater treatment system.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture awarded a $1.95 million grant and $700,000 loan as part of funds distributed to Maine through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, U.S. Sens. Olympia J. Snowe and Susan Collins said in a joint statement.
“This critical funding will not only repair and improve sewer infrastructure but will create crucial jobs in the process,” Snowe and Collins said. “By investing in rural infrastructure, these USDA programs will help Maine communities provide essential services, boost economic growth, and increase the quality of life for residents throughout the area.”
If you are interested in seeing information about Lincoln Maine….which is beautiful….see the attached: http://www.welcometolincolnmaine.com/index.php/our-area/town-government
Meet William Lawrence when he was Police Chief:
Of the three Candidates, Mr. Lawrence has the most experience and is ready to go to work in White Springs as its Town Manager.
Posted by Karin Griffin at 6/17/2014 8:49 PM
Officer Barry Kelly ( Tracy’s personal friend) only comes out for May Day and other events
Officer Kevin Graham comes out about once every three months
Officer Chris Rapp comes when needed.
All of these officers live a minimum of 1 hour to 4 hours away.